Ever since I posted the floor pillow project (part one & two) I did for my church, I received lots of comments & emails asking questions & wanting a tutorial. My original post linked back to a Mandy Made tutorial that I worked off of, but that blog is now private. So, I decided to make another pillow & make my own tutorial. The first time I made them, I made them 40 inches. This time I was just working with what fabric I had on hand that would match my living room, so that ended up being 30 inches wide. You could customize the size to whatever suits you really.
2 yards of fabric for the top & the bottom
1 yard worth of fabric for the sides ( I used 2 different fabrics because it’s all I had that would work)
Some velcro (if you choose to close it with velcro like I did).
First get your fabrics together & cut as so:
Again, this is what I made this time. Last time I made them bigger. You could make assorted sizes, just stick to the ratio. Lay them out like this:
Pin the sides to the middle like this:
& sew with a 1/2 inch seam (or so). It might be smart to do a zigzag stitch inside your hem to make it hold better.
When you’re done, it should look something like this:
Now you’re going to pin sides to each other like this:
Sew again & it should look like this:
Once you’ve finished with that, pin & sew the other square to the top of your little box you’ve got going leaving about a 7 inch opening. That way you can turn it back right side out, stuff it & attach your velcro or whatever fastener you choose.
Then, pin the opening back on top & bottom, so you make a finished edge for your opening & sew.
I used velcro that was sticky on the back, so I put it in there like a sticker, so there was no need to pin it in.
Sew it in there, but you may want to use thread that blends with your fabric, so it doesn’t stand out.
Now, you’re ready to turn it right side out & fill ‘er up! I used a mixture of Walmart sacks & cotton filler. For this size I used the amounts below, but honestly, I’ll probably be adding some more sacks, to fluff mine a bit more. That’s the glory of it though, you can always add more! Yay!
I used about 75% sacks & 25% cotton filler.
Here’s how it turned out:
Let me know if you have any questions. I may have left something out. I am not at all a professional & consider myself a beginner seamstress. Half of the time I make it up as I go!!
– – –
UPDATE: Several people have asked how loud these pillows are with Walmart sacks inside. I posted a video to give you an idea here.